Keeping Your Home Safe While on Vacation
Are you planning a vacation this summer? If so, check out these tips to safeguard your home before you hit the road!!
- l Replace broken screens, latches, and windowpanes.
- l Secure gates and sheds.
- l Trim shrubbery.
- l Don’t hide house keys outside.
- l Give a neighbor a spare key. Ask them to get mail and newspapers, put trash cans in front of your house on trash day, mow and rake the lawn, and/or park in the driveway.
- l Turn off iron, ice-maker, electronics, and phone ringer.
- l Leave automatic sprinklers on, put timers on lamps, and install motion-activated lights outside.
- l Leave draperies open slightly on upper floors.
- l Don’t announce your absence with answering machine messages or notes on the door, and don't post your vacation pictures on social media until after you return.
- l Remove garage door openers and house keys from cars.
- l Put valuables in safe-deposit box.